Saturday, May 16, 2009

Poetry

Oftentimes jotting down thoughts in a journal or talking with someone about life doesn't always hit the nail on the head. I told one of my closest friends yesterday, "Laughter won't do it, a thousand tears can't touch it, and it's more eloquent than a 20 page dissertation on feelings in a journal." It's poetry. The simple thoughts penned and flowing in small verses and carefully thought out words...somehow it seems to convey the message perfectly. I'll be posting some poetry as we go throughout the next months. I hope you enjoy it. This was yesterday:

The War

Selfishness wages war
with desire
like a blitzkrieg on my soul
the deepest longing
for all that I see
and nothing I've tasted

The childish emotions
roll in like the tide
as my mind throws
a tantrum
equal to a three year old

Unsure and lacking
questioning value
desiring faith to
rise up as my front guard
and throwing my
inhibitions to the wind

The war continues
desiring to promote justice
and do righteousness
to feed the hungry
shelter the oppressed
to go and enlarge my tent
for my brothers and sisters

And yet selfishness fights back
to simply taste and see
the grass on the other side
for comfort, companionship
a teammate to band with
it does not end

The selfishness I feel
can leap and fly
off the tallest cliff as
I do not care for it
for my God will satisfy
the desire of each beat
of my heart and
each tear from my eye

No comments:

Post a Comment