Monday, April 13, 2009

Beginnings

I love to blog. I hope that I don't get too busy to keep this sucker updated. This will be the story of my journey to Africa and back. I have this small feeling deep in my heart that this trip to Africa will be just the tip of the iceberg. I believe God has an incredible adventure planned for my life, and that this particular one will spur on the purpose of what I am to do with my talents in years to come so that I may glorify God. I hope that you can stay tuned to the journey.

Let me tell you a little bit about Africa. If you've followed my notes on Facebook you'll be familiar with this story. But for those of you just joining, this will be a good bit of background on the WHYs.

I was always afraid of loving God too much when I was younger...yes, it sounds absurd. I figured that if He loved me back too much He might send me far away. Like, to Africa. I never wanted to go. In fact, I avoided thinking about the place too much for fear of it. But as I look back at my life, beginning in my mid-teens, I can see God weaving my desire together.

There was this couple at my church in Colorado who lived and served in Mozambique for quite some time. They spoke so fondly of it, and loved the people with something much deeper than I understood. Zip forward to Bend about 6 years, and I moved in with who I fondly call my BS (big sister), Beth. God seriously put her life on a fast track around the world using her gift of shooting video and editing for His Kingdom. And through Beth I met Ben and Lauren, who also love Jesus like crazy and use their gifts (photography is just one of them) at all costs to serve God. I watched these three in particular for a few years before my life started to unwind. And when my life crumbled - the life I had created for myself - I began to see God, know His love and compassion, and desire new things like I had never done before.

I sew. I love it. And I love running my little company. That is my gift. For so long, I knew that is what I loved to do, but never understood why. I didn't feel like God could use that in any kind of powerful way. I felt as though my gifts were worldly and had nothing to do with God. I resented that like you wouldn't believe. UNTIL God showed me one day that my gifts absolutely must be used to His glory. And then He showed me how.

One day in church I heard about an organization in Africa that taught women how to sew, thus giving them an opportunity of new life. To be able to provide for their families: daily provision, medical attention and education that they wouldn't receive otherwise. And suddenly it clicked in my heart. I was to allow God to weave my passions into something He already had waiting for me. That something is Africa.

I'll leave it at that for now, and continue to write the story as the days pass on. There are many more fine details that I cannot wait to tell you. For instance, the little things that God has done to direct my steps. Those are my favorite things to remember and share.

Ephesians 3:14-21

No comments:

Post a Comment