Saturday, September 5, 2009

Lions and Tigers and...Back to School? Oh my!

WHAT? Yeah. That's what I keep saying in my head to myself every time I think of it. Back to school. A handful of memories hit my gut when I think about what that actually means. Midterms. Finals. Labs. All nighters. Writing. More coffee than my system can actually handle. Financial aid. Grants. Deadlines. Procrastination. Study groups. Labs. Paperwork. The list goes on.

But it's not just about these things. It's the education, the process of learning that is what excites me. It's so important, not just in college, but every day beyond to continually educate oneself. And there is one word that comes to mind when I think about education: becoming.

I have spent the last six years as a single woman (single for the most part, anyway). I've learned about God and people. I've learned about myself. I have experienced a very full and rewarding life with a couple of different careers. It's all been a part of my becoming process. I'm becoming more and more the woman that God intends me to be. He's turned my heart to be passionate about His children. He's turned my heart to seek justice. And throughout this time, though I've been on a leave of absence from school, I found that I do not like idleness of any kind. I've made it a purpose to learn and grow as a person.

And now, this woman has found what her passion is (for the most part) and it's time to sink back into formal education, only this time with purpose and meaning. This time there will be passion and direction guiding the knowledge that will pour into my mind.

I'm taking my first class since 2005 in just a couple of weeks. It's a class on the history of human rights (shocked? Didn't think so). And then in the spring I'll be taking on more general ed, and next fall begins the fun stuff: the journey to a degree in Intercultural Communications through Oregon State. SWEET.

I'm no Superwoman, but at least when I am out in this world the education I have will propel me to work smarter, harder and more effectively for God's kingdom.

PS. I'm still planning on Africa. As a team, my attorney and I decided it's probably best for me to stick around until this settlement process is over. But guess what? As soon as it is, this girl is crossing the ocean for a year(ish). It'll be a different kind of education, but it will be a beautiful addition to the path of life God has me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment