Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Bad Word

Obedience.

You know what I mean. It's not a bad word, but it definitely evokes this feeling inside of you...that gritting-of-the-teeth kind of feeling. I have been thinking about this word a ton lately. In fact, I've been over thinking what obedience is and looks like and should look like... which led me to some peaceful conclusions, but I was left looking at a lot of the small stuff and missing a part of the big picture.

If you've been following my blog you'll know that things haven't exactly played out as I had planned, or even as I thought God had planned for me. And over the last year I've really tried hard to obey the voice of God in my life. More than anything I wanted to be close to Him, and I knew obedience to do some crazy things (like go serve in Africa) would get me there. But when my accident happened I had to rethink some things and examine my motives again. Again. Ugh.

A part of my heart was devoted to Jesus, but I think more of it was devoted to the cause He started. Oswald Chambers said this, "The moment you realize God's purpose, which is to get you rightly related to Himself and then to your fellow men, He will tax the last limit of the universe to help you take the right road." I hope against hope I'm solidifying this in the foundation of my faith that will help me be more and more obedient to God as the days pass.

I was studying and praying this week to prepare to teach on Thursday night. Teaching is not my thing, let's just get that out there. So instead I decided to share my story about what I've been learning about obedience this year. The gist of it being that it's not about what I do, but it's about how much and whether or not I'm being obedient to God. Because obedience is more a state of being that one single action, when you really think about it (or, when you look it up on dictionary.com, as I did and actually learned that's what it meant).

Obedience to God is not about following a kazillion rules to avoid being sent to hell. Obedience is about choosing God always. It's about fully surrendering. It's about finding God's strength to obey when you feel you can't possibly. It's about loving God. And as a result of our obedience we will find our fullness in God because we will trust that His joy is what will make us complete. And His joy is to be glorified. Thus, our lives are to glorify Him no matter what that feels like to us; whether it is joy or sorrow, happiness or mourning, easy or difficult.

I read yet another Chambers devotional and he talked about the fact that we are not in a relationship with God for God to make a success of our lives. Our obedience to God is not the means to an end or means to a successful life. "It is the process, not the end, which is glorifying to God."

That, friends, is my aim. Deuteronomy 7:9-11

3 comments:

  1. I'm a good friend of Sarah's, and somehow stumbled onto your blog... I appreciate how you are processing your journey through this blog. Just wanted to let you know that I am encouraged by your authenticity and genuine desire to follow God wherever he may lead.

    I've been thinking a lot about obedience as well. I recently led a Bible study about it and did some digging into the idea of obedience, so I hope you don't mind me sharing some of my thoughts.

    One of my favorite quotes about obedience comes from a book which I *highly* recommend called The Glorious Pursuit by Gary L. Thomas. The quote is this: "Obedience is really the desire to live deeply, thoughtfully, and in communion with God in the everyday pathways of our lives."

    So I've been doing a lot of thinking about obedience in terms of a journey: simply walking with God... in the "everyday pathways."

    Micah 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

    Deut. 10: 12-13 And now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to hear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees.

    Sometimes obedience is a grand, spectacular thing (like going to Africa)... and sometimes it is just small, continual steps that in and of themselves may seem insignificant, but over time lead you from where you are now to where God wants you to be. The journey itself (like you mentioned!) is the part that glorifies God--and it's the way we are transformed as Christians into the new creation that Paul talks about.

    For me, being obedient comes down to an issue of trust: do I trust God's leading in my life, despite the circumstances? (And trust comes down to an issue of relationship: do I love God enough to trust that he has my best interests in mind?)

    Anyway! Sorry to ramble on a bit when I don't even know you, but just wanted to say hi and let you know that I pray you will be able to continue to be faithful and obedient in even the "small" things! Best wishes on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay! Thanks for your comments :) It's lovely to hear similar sentiments! The interesting thing I've realized since I've been meditating on this thought: is that it doesn't get any easier whether we know the Truth about it (obedience, or whatever lesson it is at the time) or not. In fact, I think it's a bit more difficult, now having a conscious understanding of how intricate this "obedience thing" is. And now it will take even more trust and faith on our part to continue on in that. I feel that's what He wants of us. To know and understand Him more, to trust Him more, to live each day more full of Him than the last...it's a beautiful unraveling. I'm excited to sip my coffee and read your blog, as I suppose that's about the closest thing to a coffee date we might ever get ;) Blessings to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A "coffee date" it is then! And I'm looking forward to reading more of your journey on your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete