Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Impeccable Timing of God

Admittedly, I've been pretty frustrated the past few weeks about the timing of my trip to Africa, and the beginning of this journey. It's something God has promised me. I'm not really too worried about it never happening, I've simply been chomping at the bit for the day I leave. Not impatience per se, but full of anticipation and excitement.

During this time, I've been continuing on in my "scribe project". Which on my own terms I'm way behind on because I couldn't sit up in a chair or read let alone read and write for more than a few minutes after the accident. I started again the other day in Genesis 12 where I left off. The timing was absolutely divine.

The story of Abram really begins to unfold in chapter 12:1-9. The thing I noticed that got my mind reeling, and then quiet enough to hear God was this:

1. God appeared to Abram and gave him a promise (the land and offspring)
2. Abram worshiped God (responded)
3. Abram continued on his journey (even though the promised land was right there)
4. God said "I will" do this, it wasn't right that second, other things had to unfurl first

I realized in this moment that I had been putting this time line of my own to a promise God had given me (my trip to Africa). Though logical as far as the eye can see, God had another idea in mind (although His idea is still a bit of a mystery to me). Yes, my seasonal job ends in September, the event I'm helping out with is at the end of October, and then I was free as a bird to leave. However, to be honest with you all, funds are simply not lining up as fast as I had planned on. Getting hit by a car and not working for almost a month also put a damper on that plan.

My heart was suddenly at rest because I saw something God wanted me to: I didn't have to follow a time line! I keep saying, "My life is a blank white slate when I get home from Africa" as in, I have no plans, there is nothing in the way of God doing what He wants (except for myself, ironically). I realized that I don't have to do all of these things so fast and close together. My trip doesn't have to depart at a particular time because my life is ALREADY a blank white slate. God's working His plan out. I simply need to respond to that promise and continue on.

The funny thing about hearing all of this on Tuesday: just after I had this "epiphany", I went to a meeting for the Congo Benefit Concert and the date was moved out to December 6th instead of October 25. What a wonder that God gave me peace before that, otherwise I would have probably thrown a silly fit.

So, for those of you keeping track, my trip will be delayed about 6 weeks(ish). I wonder what in the world God is doing as this time passes by. It'll be fun to watch and see...because God has promised me other things that seem to be coming to fruition in the current time(ish).

Smiles all around.

:)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Andrea. I just stumbled upon your blog. Blessings on your head, for loving God and for pursuing His call for your life!!

    Injustice is something that weighs on my heart, also.

    I'm a freelance missions photojournalist. I just got back from Kenya— check out my blog to find out more about what I did there. And I spent February in Thailand working on a book/photo project on a girl's home that takes in girls in danger of being trafficked and gives them a home, an education, and teaches them about Jesus.

    I look forward to hearing about the things our God will teach you as continue to surrender to His will for your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    That's WONDERFUL! I finally took some time to read through your blog a little bit. It will be fun to check in every now and again to see what God is up to in your life. Maybe someday we'll even cross paths :)

    Blessings,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete